400+ Photoreal Materials – VRscans Library is Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nicinus View Post
    Interesting, I can almost imagine the day when it is considered a gigantic waste of time to create your own materials.

Is this a suitable technology for base materials such as metals, glass and surfaces in general?
    Well, i clearly see the use to some of these scans, but there's a few cons about this method, and that's why i think that you'll always have to do manual/artistic shading work to achieve "good" results (for you and your client, not necessarily photoreal and physically correct).

- It's limited to small scale materials (50x50cm might be wrong here)
    - Small degree of customization (you can add stuff on top via blend materials)
    - Limited to Vray - not a bad thing, but products like Megascans (even though they have a different approach) are way more flexible.

Fortunately i don't think that day you're talking about will come, if it does via some divine technology i might as well switch industries, since we'll turn into monkeys pressing buttons :P

Other than that the WIPs grant warwick is posting on facebook are really nice, and i can't wait to play with some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
      So after subscription ends you wont be able yo use vrscan materials ?
      Hi Lukx,

Yes, this is correct. You need to have a valid VRscans license in order to use the scanned materials.
      Dinko Dimitrov
      VP VRscans
      Chaos Software

Comment

...and U have to pay for all your rendernodes....so: 1 workstation + 5 rendernodes = 1000 Euro

Comment

Originally posted by dinko.dimitrov View Post
          Hi Lukx,

Yes, this is correct. You need to have a valid VRscans license in order to use the scanned materials.
          And we need licenses for the whole render farm.... I miss the day when V-Ray was free for unlimited nodes! For me it would amount to around 2000$ a month to use the vrscan plugin!!! For the same price I can buy a render node every 2 months...

I watched a bit that twich stream by grant that got me curious about VRscan: https://www.twitch.tv/masteringcgi/v/98721445

But one thing I don't like about paying a subscription for shaders is that it is very rare that a shader will do exactly what we want out of the box for a real project. we have to blend it, correct it, change it, and then we can't use it anymore if we stop paying... When I pay for something and put work into something I tend to like being able to keep it for all my life, life is so short anyway! Also I like being able to sell my assets on Turbosquid so it's another reason I should not use VRscan.

I would like to try them with the free trial but honestly I don't think I'm ready to pay that much money for shaders when I feel I can reproduce them realisticly enough with included BRDF.

I guess they are more for very specific cases where you need that little plus and so I guess that's why chaosgroup has to charge that much or they can't recoup their RnD.

I would like to see animations showing the scan material side to side with of a shot of the real material to see the difference.
          Last edited by jstrob; 03-11-2016, 12:37 PM.

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
          Little Antman
          See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
          Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Free unlimited nodes is probably an utopia. They require some maintenance too. People with renderfarms usually require a bit more support than users of single machine. You can't have everything for free.

That being said, I do agree that requiring rendernode licences for material scans leaves me scratching my head. Paid material "presets" (despite being accurately scanned at a level not reproducible with VrayMTL) are not too attractive on their own, but requiring additional licence for every machine they render on, that adds a lot to the discouragement.

Then again, I can imagine some high profile customers who demand this level of accuracy, and they are willing to get milked for it

Comment

Originally posted by Recon442 View Post
              Free unlimited nodes is probably an utopia.
              I'm an utopist and proud of it!!!

Explosion & smoke I did with PhoenixFD
              Little Antman
              See Iron Baby and other of my models on Turbosquid!
              Some RnD involving PhoenixFD

Comment

Love the company. Love the concept. Love the product....Can't justify the price
                Neal Biggs

3D Generalist | Freelance | Founder | Big5 Studio
                http://big5studio.com/

3ds Max 2022 - V-Ray5 Update 2.2

Comment

Wait... You have to pay 300€ per year per render node too? I thought it would only be for workstations. If that's the case, yeh, no way.

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback.
                    I just wanted to let you know that here at Chaos Group we are listening to what you are saying and you can expect some good news very soon.
                    Dinko Dimitrov
                    VP VRscans
                    Chaos Software

Comment

I thought I was the only one that found the price to be a bit much.
                      Would recommend anyone who's interested uses the calculator on the website to see how much it will actually cost them once you add in the workstations & render nodes. (in our case 4 x WS and 14 render nodes)

Comment

Dunno if it is too much to ask but I'd love if vray users would get a few "basic" ones for free like a metal / a plastic etc. to get some baseline for material creation. I know there is no real way to match the scans but it would get people into the ballpark for "accurate" material creation. Or maybe I am just delusional. :P
                        Cheers,
                        Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

...and actually I don't like these adobe-ish pricesystem. I think vlado told us the same about subscription a while ago (but okay, the subject of the post was corona
                          300 bugs for a workstation plus free rendernodes and some kind of material-translator to keep my literary property (maybe not in the same quality) and I am the first who undersign!

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
                            Dunno if it is too much to ask but I'd love if vray users would get a few "basic" ones for free like a metal / a plastic etc. to get some baseline for material creation. I know there is no real way to match the scans but it would get people into the ballpark for "accurate" material creation. Or maybe I am just delusional. :P
                            Presently if you request a 30 days evaluation we will be happy to provide 30 materials from various types that are watermark free and you can use them for your projects withing the evaluation period.
                            Dinko Dimitrov
                            VP VRscans
                            Chaos Software

Comment

Presently if you request a 30 days evaluation we will be happy to provide 30 materials from various types that are watermark free and you can use them for your projects withing the evaluation period.
                              Awesome. Will definitely take you op on the offer once I have a bit of time on my hands.
                              Cheers,
                              Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback.
                                I just wanted to let you know that here at Chaos Group we are listening to what you are saying and you can expect some good news very soon.
                                Assuming this good news is regarding prices, would it be foolish of me to purchase now?

Cheers,

John
                                Website
                                Behance
                                Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X